Ian (ringbark) wrote,

  • Music:

Warm days are here again

Friday morning and an early start. It's always an early start, of course, although Thursday is the earliest... I was surprised to see Sanjeevi join me on the train - he usually catches a later one, but explained that it is because his parents-in-law are staying there at the moment... No it's not what it sounds like: simply that they can take his children to school so he doesn't have to!
Work continues at its usual pace. As I often say, the main drawback with monthly reports is that you have to produce them every month. Still, that won't be for so much longer: all I have to do is hand my work over successfully and new challenges will be mine as my work becomes ever more focussed on the new Basel Accord.
We have a major meeting next week, so we were working at some length on this, which meant that I didn't get to my usual Friday lunch with some friends. Instead, I just went out and picked up a sandwich.
A lot of the people from work were going to the Sevens, so it became quieter as the day went on. I sent out the presentations just before I left for the traditional Friday drinks. As the evening continued, our director invited those remaining to have a meal. I agreed. I don't like to disappear from the family at short notice, and I do it very rarely, but this was one of those occasions.
At the end of the evening, it suddenly dawned on me that I would be arriving at the station at the same time as 38,000 people from the stadium, but that couldn't be helped. I sat on the train in the furthest carriage from the stadium exit, right at the back of the station.
This proved to be a less than perfect move: Taita station doesn't look the same from that end, so I didn't recognise it, or the distinctive red glow from the Pizza Hut by it, until after the train had left. This meant a walk home from Pomare station - not the best at that hour of the night.

This morning, I was taking David to softball at Matthew to cricket. At the end of the morning, I was bewildered by the news that Matthew's team didn't know who had won: they lost track of the score and no-one knew who had won. Amazing!
After lunch, we decided it was time to start looking for birthday present. Somewhere along the way, something didn't go to plan. Instead of a bicycle for Christopher, we ended up buying a bicycle for Christopher AND a sofa for the living room AND a the deposit on bicycle for David.

Our new car is an Austin Montego, a white 1986 station wagon. It seems to go pretty well. In other news, it's still pretty hot here in Wellington, a welcome piece of news after a fairly disappointing summer so far.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.