1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Moved from one country to another without a job to go to. (For most people, the first six words would be a first, but no.)
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Many years ago I resolved not to make any more NYRs, and it's worked for me.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My mother, my father-in-law.
5. What countries did you visit?
New Zealand, Vanuatu, United States, United Kingdom, Germany.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 7th. Not just the day we returned to the U.K., but the day the bombs exploded. We were just touching down at Heathrow at the time...
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Successfully moving across the world and getting established in a new community.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not having paid employment yet.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A jar of marmalade to call my own.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My own, as usual.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel and curry.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving back to England.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
So soon, day turns to dusk.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
completely different in so many ways
ii. thinner or fatter?
thinner and fitter
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With the family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
Not for the first time.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Scarcely watch any television. But maybe Little Britain.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I work hard not to hate anyone at all.
25. What was the best book you read?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
A successful move across the world.
28. What did you want and not get?
Paid work. (seems that this is getting a bit repetitive)
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
So far? Probably War Of The Worlds.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Flew from Wellington to Auckland, had dinner at the airport, crossed the dateline on the way to Los Angeles, had dinner at Universal Studios. Edited to add: 44. I just missed that part of the question before.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More enjoyment of the simple things of life.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
If it fits, I'll wear it.
33. What kept you sane?
A loving and supportive family.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
This question is a joke, isn't it?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Lying Americans torturing offshore because it's not allowed at home.
36. Who did you miss?
Lots of people still in New Zealand. Far too many to name.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I couldn't possibly comment on this.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
Nothing stays the same.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Crying, laughing, half a world away